This post was last updated on October 2nd, 2023
Packing up a package for shipping can be a daunting task. Even if you are shipping something small and lightweight, the process still takes time to get done correctly.
Shipping packages is an important aspect of any business that sells products online via their website, or in their retail shop.
It’s not just about shipping, though. Customers expect more these days! You need to offer choices in shipping methods, speed of delivery, and packaging materials so your customer gets what they want and comes back again and again.
Keep this post handy and make sure to save it somewhere safe! We’ll walk you through how to prepare your packages for shipping so you can make your customers happy every time!
How to Ship a Package
Shipping packages can be a pain, but shipping packages correctly is even harder.
In order to ensure the shipping process goes as smoothly as possible, you need to be prepared for what’s going to happen by being well-informed.
A step-by-step guide for how to prepare and send a package
- Print your order slip.
- Assuming you are not using a drop-shipping service find and collect your products for shipping.
- Assemble the box or boxes and prepare your package for shipping. Don’t forget any fillers or bubble wrap you made need to protect any fragile items.
- Calculate postage. Sign into your shipping software to request a quote. Review your offers and choose the best rate. Make sure to select the correct delivery service your customer requested and paid for.
- Enter the customer’s address including zip code or postal code plus all shipping details. Create or generate your shipping label. And print all shipping labels required.
- Schedule the courier pickup from your office or home.
- Pack your product(s) into boxes or envelopes. Include any printed marketing material you’d like to share with your customer, and add any necessary documents like invoices or receipts. Review the contents of each package before sealing.
- Wait for your convenient pre-arranged pickup or visit your local courier store or depot to begin the shipping process.
- Once your package has been sent for delivery, log in to your shipping software once more to ensure that tracking is on and up to date.
Go above and beyond with your packaging and shipping!
Your customer’s journey begins online with your website, but it doesn’t end there.
Many companies overlook and fail to see the opportunities that lay hidden in their shipments. So how do you take your customer experience to the next level with your shipping services?
Choose or offer custom packaging. Box design that inspires!
Stylish, sturdy cardboard mailboxes are great for storage. And when branded, are a constant reminder to your customer, who they should buy from next.
If you have the budget to invest in custom boxes, packaging, and labels – then do so as it will only help establish your brand and company even further.
Custom shipping labels, branded stickers, and handwritten notes are all an added and welcomed bonus!
They’re also a great way to communicate directly to your customer offline. And to make your customer feel like they’re the center of attention and that their money and purchase is valued.
Don’t be shy to include coupons, flyers, brochures, or free treats.
“75% of people, or 3 out of every 4, will never buy from you again” – Ezra Firestone
Upgrade your customer’s delivery service
Standard shipping is the most common delivery service. Not only popular with customers, but with businesses that include free shipping as well.
So why not upgrade your customer’s experience and ship their product by express or priority shipping?
This unexpected bonus could be a much-welcomed surprise and another reason why they should shop with you instead.
Depending on your budget though, you may want to restrict this to domestic deliveries and not international shipments. But only you know your company or business best.
Ideas to help boost your customer’s delivery service
- Boost loyalty with clear and simple return options
- A generous returns policy allows customers to stay and come back.
- Offering a free shipping label or shipping reimbursement is great for customer satisfaction.
But don’t stop there; try to think of all the little things you could offer that would make your customers happy and keep them coming back:
- A return envelope with prepaid postage on it?
- Packaging material such as boxes or protective film wrapping?
- A recycling program that offers future discounts or incentives?
For more tips on creating a proper returns policy, click here.
Shipping should be an integral part of your customer’s experience.
Whether shipping a purchase to them or fulfilling their return request after the fact, shipping can make or break your customer relationships and interactions.
So go above and beyond with your shipping and delivery service!